Painted Mason jars are a fun way to reuse and repurpose mason jars and make cute home decor and flower vases at the same time!
If you are looking for a fun and inexpensive DIY craft idea, check out this painted mason jars craft activity!
Super easy, affordable and something that anyone can do, all you will need is glass mason jars and a little bit of paint. This would be a good idea for a group activity as well, and a simple project that just about anyone can do!
Basic Supplies Needed
- Plain mason jar (or other jars: pickle jars, any pretty jars will work)
- Acrylic craft paint (this is the best paint for this project, in my opinion but you could try different types of paint)
- Foam paint brush (or a regular paint brush)
Instructions for Painting Mason Jars
- Wash and dry your glass jars.
- Set out your paints. I like to have a different brush for each paint color so that I’m not having to wash brushes that often but you will want to keep soapy water on hand to rinse brushes as needed.
- Get creative and paint to your hearts content! This is a really fun craft activity for kids too because there is no wrong or right way to paint mason jars. We like to paint the inside of the jar, but you can come up with all kinds of different ways to make these fun painting jars.
Tips and Tricks for DIY Painted Mason Jars
For a group activity, I like to pour each color of the acrylic paint on paper plates, each with their own foam brush. It’s one of the easiest ways I’ve found for kids to do this craft. You’ll just need to keep an eye on the brushes so the paints don’t get to mixed.
Try spray painting your glass jars. I recommend this technique if you want to do solid colors and get good coverage. Spray your jars once and then let them dry and return to spray on a second layer. There are some pretty neat spray paints that would work really well for painting mason jars and I’ve even seen people use chalk paint on jars, which would be really neat.
After you apply the first coat, let it dry. Dry time can be pretty quick so maybe move on to another jar while your first painted glass jar dries.
Consider trying different types of paint for different effects. Visit the craft store to find your favorite kind of paint. Try metallic paint for a funky look, matte finish might be neat for a vintage look. If you are making them for home decor you could even create a distressed look by painting several coats of paint and then using a paint stick or piece of sandpaper to rub off some of the paint.
These painted mason jars would also be wonderful for DIY wedding table centerpieces. Old mason jars have such a classic look. You could shop a local thrift store for different glass jars and then paint them to display on party tables.
There are so many different methods to painting these mason jar projects. In the end you’ll have a pretty vase perfect for that country living or farmhouse look. A great homemade gift idea as well!
For more favorite DIY Craft Projects, check out these tutorials that we’ve shared:
- Homemade Gift Ideas
- Terra Cotta Carrot Easter Craft
- Easy DIY Pom Pom Christmas Ornament
- Homemade Simmering Potpourri Jar
- Easy Halloween Candle Holder Jar Craft
Meet the author – Keri Lyn
The creative and frugal mind behind She Saved for over 12 years now, Keri Lyn shares her adventures in parenting along with her love for family travel, country living and brand marketing. A self-proclaimed “brand loyalist”, Keri Lyn is known for her strong and enthusiastic voice when it comes to the products and brands that she loves. She Saved has become a community for like-minded consumers who appreciate saving money, time and sanity by getting the best deals on quality products and experiences.