How to Make EASY Unicorn Pancakes
I love when the simplest thing become magical! Today I’m sharing with you how to make EASY unicorn pancakes because they are a guaranteed smile and I love getting that response from my kiddos!
You can either make these unicorn pancakes from scratch or make your pancakes from a box mix or even from frozen pancakes. If you have time, and choose to make them from scratch, I’m including one of my go-to pancake recipes below. If you are short on time (or ingredients) these pancakes are just as darling made from box mix.
My kids love pancakes for breakfast and I get the biggest kick out of creating things like unicorns out of them. Even better, this unicorn is pretty hard to mess up so they immediately know what it is, unlike some of the other pancake creations that I’ve made in the past, lol!
Pancakes from scratch ingredients:
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups milk
¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted but cooled slightly
Ingredients for making Unicorn pancakes:
Blueberries (2 for each unicorn)
Sugar cone (1 for each unicorn)
Cooked bacon (1 slice for each unicorn)
M&Ms (2 for each unicorn)
How to Create Unicorn Pancakes
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Then, slowly add the butter.
- Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into the well and stir the batter until combined. There may be small lumps. Allow the batter to rest at least 5 minutes.
- Heat a griddle to 300 degrees. Spritz with non-stick cooking spray for coat with additional butter prior to adding batter.
Now, the fun part! Turn your pancakes into unicorns with these simple instructions!
- For the unicorn, pour about 1 cup batter on the griddle. For the snout, use about ½ to 2/3 cup batter. When bubbles begin to break on the surface of the pancakes, flip and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until completely cooked through.
- To decorate the unicorn, place the face pancake on a large plate. Put the smaller pancake towards the bottom of the larger pancake.
- For the snout of the unicorn, you will shove 2 M&M sideways into the pancake. You can also use chocolate chips for this.
- Position the eyes above the snout.
- Cut bacon in half (perhaps three pieces depending on the length) and place two pieces of bacon as the unicorn ears.
- When ready to serve, use whipped topping to create a mane. I think this is my favorite part, and I definitely know it’s the part the my kids love the most! For that magical effect, sprinkle lightly with rainbow sprinkles. And lastly, add a sugar cone as your unicorn horn. Serve immediately.
If you have a unicorn birthday party, these would make a wonderful breakfast idea for the morning after a sleep over! OR, a wonderful breakfast idea for the birthday kid and a great way to start any day, right? These really are so simple to make, but when presented, they are pretty fantastic and kids go nuts for them! You could even get more creative with the candy sprinkles and if you are really brave, you could let the kids decorate their own unicorn pancakes!
We LOVE unicorns around here, so anytime I can add a bit of unicorn magic to a meal, I’m all about it. You might remember our favorite magical unicorn donuts recipe and if you are looking for a unicorn craft idea, make sure to check out our DIY unicorn bookmarks, they are so cute!