Easy DIY Farmhouse Serving Tray Project
Homemade gifts are the very best, and this DIY Farmhouse Serving Tray project that’s not only easy, it’s affordable and fun to make! I also love that it’s also a very practical gift and would be appreciated by just about anyone. This project might also be a fun one to do with tweens or teens as it’s simple and introduces some basic crafting skills and techniques.
If you don’t want to build your tray, you could also make this same tray by repurposing an old cupboard door which would be totally perfect for this farmhouse decor style look. I love recycled and repurposed items, so if you have access to any wood or vintage handles, that would also be a great way to bring this look together.
4- 24” inch 1×4 boards
2- 14” inch 1×4 boards
4 1/2” wood screws
Sand paper if needed
1. Go into your local hardware store and pick out a 10ft 1×4 board and have them cut it into eye sizes you need.
2. In a well ventilated area, stain the tops, bottoms and sides of your boards using a paint brush and wipe off any excess stain using a rag. You will probably want to stain both sides of your boards. I only stained one side for these photos so that I could show you the markings for the handles that I made on the backside.
3. Let your boards dry overnight, glue the sides of 4-24” boards together and wipe off any excess glue with a wet rag.
4. Then glue your 2 14” boards on the vertically on the top of each end.
5. Apply a coat of polyurethane to your tray, being carefully not to knock the boards out of place and let your boards and polyurethane dry overnight.
6. Measure where you’d like your handles to go and on the backside draw 2 holes on each side.
7. Carefully drill 2 holes from the bottom side up with the right size bit for your handles.
8. Screw on your handles from the bottom to the top depending on how your handles attach.
Isn’t this tray so pretty? I love the Pottery Barn-ish look and of course, you can’t beat the price! Wouldn’t it be fantastic to make this for mom or dad and then use it to serve them breakfast in bed on their special day?
The creative and frugal mind behind She Saved for almost 12 years now, Keri Lyn shares her adventures in parenting along with her love for family travel, country living and brand marketing. A self-proclaimed “brand loyalist”, Keri Lyn is known for her strong and enthusiastic voice when it comes to the products and brands that she loves. Passionate about family and the challenge of raising good humans (through the teen years, no less!) Keri Lyn has also served as a brand ambassador to many brands including her time as a Hilton Mom Voyage travel writer and currently an O Mag Insider for O, The Oprah Magazine and the 2019 recipient the O-verall Contribution O-ward.