I’m always trying to come up with ways to jazz up chicken. I can often get it at a good price but we get bored eating it the same way all the time. I came up with this Chili Lemon Chicken Tenders recipe that was so easy to make and my family loved it! (and, to be honest, we also make it quite often with quail instead of chicken, and it’s just as good, if not better) It’s got just enough zip to be really flavorful but not hot and spicy so the kids still devoured it. A definite keeper in our recipe book!
- 1.5 – 2lb. of chicken tenders
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried, crushed basil leaves (optional)
- Salt & pepper
- Marinate the chicken in a sealed container for 2 hours: Add the milk, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, lemon zest and juice, and salt and pepper to taste to a container and stir to combine. Add the chicken tenders and make sure they’re all covered in the liquid. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- When it’s time to cook them, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray the bottom of a 9″x13″ baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a shallow dish (I used a pie pan) combine the bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, basil leaves, salt and pepper.
- Take each chicken tender out of the marinate and dredge it through the breadcrumb mixture until it is coated. Place in the baking pan. Repeat with each tender.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with your favorite sauce. Barbecue is delicious with these!