Easy Valentine’s Day Treat: Rice Krispie Hearts
Looking for sweets to make for your sweeties? This Valentine’s Day treat is a good one! Make these Rice Krispie Hearts for your family or they also work wonderfully as classroom Valentine’s treats.
You can never go wrong with Rice Krispie treats for a few reasons. First of all, everyone loves them and second of all, they are SO easy, not to mention affordable. This is also a great treat for teens and tweens because again, they require very little prep (and no baking!!) and very few supplies.
6 C. Rice Krispies cereal
6 tbsp. butter, cut into chunks
10 oz mini marshmallows
2″-3″ heart cookie cutter
3 C. powdered sugar
1/3 C. melted butter
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp. milk
Pink food coloring
Small round frosting tip
Disposable piping bag
Red gummy Heart candies (I used Brach’s)
OR if you are short on time, they now sell Rice Krispie Treat Sheets! Perfect for this type of thing and might even be a great option if you are making these for a Valentine’s Day activity.
Heat the 3 tablespoons of butter and 10 oz of mini marshmallows in a large saucepan or dutch oven, stirring occasionally.
- 6 C. Rice Krispies cereal
- 6 tbsp. butter, cut into chunks
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- 2"-3" heart cookie cutter
- 3 C. powdered sugar
- 1/3 C. melted butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp. milk
- Pink food coloring
- Small round frosting tip
- Disposable piping bag
- Valentine sprinkles
- Line a 9x13 baking dish with foil and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of butter and 10 oz of mini marshmallows in a large saucepan or dutch oven, stirring occasionally.
- Once the marshmallows are 3/4 melted, pour in the 6 cups of Rice Krispie cereal. Gently fold the cereal into the melted marshmallows and pour the Rice Krispie treats into the prepared baking dish and evenly press into the pan and set aside.
- Combine the powdered sugar, 1/3 cup melted butter and vanilla extract and a tablespoon of milk at a time. Once the frosting has reached your desired consistency, add in a few drops of pink food coloring and stir to combine.
- Attach the small round frosting tip to the disposable piping bag and fill with frosting.
- Use the Heart cookie cutter to cut the Rice Krispie treats as close together as possible getting an many as you can.
- Take one Rice Krispie heart at a time and place one toothpick on each side so it looks like an arrow coming out from each side.
- Stick one gummy heart candy on one toothpick.
- Take a second heart and use the kitchen scissors to snip a triangle out of the top. Place this heart on the other toothpick.
- Gently squeeze the frosting out onto the heart in a back and forth motion.
- Sprinkle with Valentine sprinkles.
- Repeat with all the Rice Krispie hearts.