Home Remedy: Homemade Natural Cough Syrup Recipe
It’s that time of year. The dreaded cold and flu season. If it all hits your household, let me tell you that this is one of our favorite home remedy recipes. This Homemade Natural Cough Syrup Recipe is so easy, and does not only provide relief from cold and cough symptoms, but it also smells wonderful and is so soothing.
We are huge honey fans and we actually get our honey from hives back at my husband’s family ranch. I highly encourage you to find local honey for this recipe if you can, but it’s not necessary. I’m a true believer in the power of the cayenne pepper, but depending on your reaction to cayenne pepper (and the age of the children that you might be treating with this syrup) I would make that ingredient optional. This recipe is one that was shared with me years and years ago as my grandmother was very into home remedies. It’s been adjusted a bit here and there and of course, I’m not doctor so while this isn’t medical advice, it’s a simple homemade cough syrup recipe that we find to be quite effective. If you are sick, definitely seek a doctors advice.
Yields: 1/2 cup
1/3 cup raw honey (local is best)
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
2 Tablespoons unrefined coconut oil – melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Optional – pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Add the honey, lemon juice, melted coconut oil, cinnamon, ginger and cayenne pepper(optional) to a medium mixing bowl. Stir well to incorporate all of the ingredients.
2. Transfer to an airtight glass jar or container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
HOW TO USE
Swallow 1-2 teaspoons to soothe a cold or sore throat.
This homemade natural cough syrup contains ingredients which contain unique properties to help fight off a persistent cough and sore throat:
1. RAW HONEY – studies have shown that honey might be nature’s best natural cough suppressant. The darker the honey used (like buckwheat), the more antioxidants it contains to help fight off sore throats. NOTE: never give honey to children under 2 years old.
2. LEMON JUICE – has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help to loosen mucus that can irritate the throat and cause a cough
3. COCONUT OIL – contains anti-inflammatory properties that ease the pain and irritation of a sore throat
4. CINNAMON – contains a compound that is anti-spasmodic (cinnamaldehyde) which calms down the desire to cough
5. GINGER – helps eliminate mucus from the lungs which can lessen a cough and is known to be a natural decongestant.
6. CAYENNE PEPPER (OPTIONAL) – a natural pain reliever that suppresses a chemical that carries the pain message to the brain.
Honestly, this recipe is tried and tested and I think that you will love it! I personally enjoy it right before I nice hot cup of soothing tea.
Print the Recipe
- 1/3 cup raw honey (local is best)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 2 Tablespoons unrefined coconut oil - melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Optional - pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1. Add the honey, lemon juice, melted coconut oil, cinnamon, ginger and cayenne pepper(optional) to a medium mixing bowl. Stir well to incorporate all of the ingredients.
- 2. Transfer to an airtight glass jar or container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
- Swallow 1-2 teaspoons to soothe a cold or sore throat.