Looking for a fun Dr. Seuss snack idea? National Read Across America Day (Dr. Seuss Day) is March 2nd, 2016 so I wanted to share these fun Put Me in the Zoo Rice Krispies Treats in case you are looking for fun an unique Dr. Seuss snack ideas. One of our favorite Dr. Seuss books, Put Me in the Zoo (an “I can read it all by myself” Beginner Books by Robert Lopshire and edited by Dr. Seuss) is such a fun read, and this fun Dr. Seuss Snack for Put Me in the Zoo Rice Krispies Treats is sure to be a hit with the little ones!
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
Two 10 oz. bags of mini marshmallows
10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
Directions for Rice Krispies
1. Spray a 9×13 pan with Pam and set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
3. Add the marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly.
4. Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and stir in the cereal and salt until well-coated.
5. Using a rubber spatula (spray with Pam ), transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly.
6. Allow the Rice Krispies to cool in the pan completely before the assembly process.
Ingredients for making Put Me In the Zoo Tiger Treats
Pan of prepared Rice Krispies (from above recipe)
2 T solid shortening
3/4 cup Wilton yellow chocolate melts (or could use white melts with yellow dye)
10 large Nilla Wafers
Black write-on gel
Yellow sprinkles – optional
Directions for Put Me in the Zoo Tiger Assembly
1. With a jumbo circle cookie cutter, cut out 4-5 jumbo circles from your prepared Rice Krispies treats.
2. Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper. Set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, microwave the shortening for 40 seconds or until melted.
4. Add the yellow chocolate melts and stir until completely melted.
5. Spread the melted yellow chocolate on top of each rice crispy circle and place on the lined baking sheet for at least 30 minutes to allow it to set up.
6. While yellow chocolate is setting up, cut off the bottom of a Nilla Wafer cookie and dip into the melted yellow chocolate. Firmly press the cookie into the upper top side of the tiger head to resemble an ear. Hold in place for 15 seconds. Repeat on the other side with another cookie. (If the leftover melted yellow chocolate begins to harden, microwave in five second intervals until melted again.) Optional: sprinkle yellow sprinkles on the ears before the yellow chocolate dries.
7. Repeat step 6 on all of the Rice Krispies tiger heads.
8. With the black write-on gel, pipe the eyes, nose and mouth on each tiger face.
9. To make the spots – Gently press Sprees candies pieces onto the face, alternating colors.
This recipe will yield 4-5 Put Me In The Zoo Rice Krispies treats.
The creative and frugal mind behind She Saved for almost 12 years now, Keri Lyn shares her adventures in parenting along with her love for family travel, country living and brand marketing. A self-proclaimed “brand loyalist”, Keri Lyn is known for her strong and enthusiastic voice when it comes to the products and brands that she loves. Passionate about family and the challenge of raising good humans (through the teen years, no less!) Keri Lyn has also served as a brand ambassador to many brands including her time as a Hilton Mom Voyage travel writer and currently an O Mag Insider for O, The Oprah Magazine and the 2019 recipient the O-verall Contribution O-ward.