Easy Lime Poke Cake Recipe
If you’ve followed any of my recipes for long then you know I’m a huge fan of easy. I like to keep quick and simple dessert options on hand because recipes like this Easy Lime Poke Cake recipe are always a hit and I always seem short on time for things like this. Plus, who doesn’t love poke cake?
Looking for great summer dessert options? This one fits the bill perfectly because even though it’s a cake, it’s light and fluffy and has that wonderful tangy flavor that’s perfect for summer. And of course, since it’s made with a cake mix from a box, it’s one that easy to make on the go.
I’ve had quite a few people ask me what types of cake mixes I prefer for my poke cake recipes and honestly, I’m a huge fan of the Betty Crocker Super Moist Cake mixes (they are super affordable too, and quite often on sale!) but I recently made this recipe using the Mrs. Jones Baking Organic Cake Mix and we really liked it! I will say that it was a bit dryer than the Betty Crocker cakes, but pouring the gelatin on the cake helps a bit with that as well.
And like I said, the fact that this recipe is so easy is what keeps it on my favorite desserts list. SO easy, and super affordable. I hate feeling like I have to break the bank every time we get invited to an event where we are asked to bring a dish, so desserts like this are a great option. Plus, this one is so easy that my daughter (11) can make it all by herself now!
1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix, prepared to package instructions
1 package (3 ounce) package lime gelatin, divided
1 cup boiling water (for gelatin)
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
½ cup powdered sugar, divided
8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
1. Bake cake in 13×9 pan according to package instructions. Allow to cool.
2. Using a fork, poke holes in the top of the cake.
3. Mix together the lime gelatin with 1 cup of boiling water until dissolved, and then spoon half of the gelatin carefully over the cake (reserve the other half), making sure to pour over the holes.
4. Next, mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar and the other half of the prepared gelatin.
5. Spread out red cream cheese mixture over the cake.
6. Top with whipped topping and lime zest.
7. Chill for 4 hours before serving.
Looking for other poke cake recipes?
I love to keep favorite desserts in my recipe line up and poke cake recipes are some of my favorite go-tos!
Make sure to check out my red, white and blue poke cake recipe, it’s perfect for your 4th of July festivities! Also great for family gatherings, is my hubby’s favorite cake, this ultra moist coconut poke cake recipe.
What is your favorite jello for poke cakes? I love this lime flavor but I have to say, raspberry jello is the one that has the absolute best flavor in my opinion. You can also mix things up if you like and add several jello (gelatin) flavors over these cake. We’ve made them so often that now my kids love to experiment and try new things. I will warn you though, the more you add (color wise) the less attractive this cake becomes so if you are looking for both awesome flavor AND a nice looking cake, you can’t beat this lime poke cake, it’s SO pretty!
Top it with a few lime slices and you have a very pretty and delicious looking dessert!
Print the Recipe
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix, prepared to package instructions
- 1 package (3 ounce) package lime gelatin, divided
- 1 cup boiling water (for gelatin)
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar, divided
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- Lime zest
- Bake cake in 13x9 pan according to package instructions. Allow to cool.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the top of the cake.
- Mix together the lime gelatin with 1 cup of boiling water until dissolved, and then spoon half of the gelatin carefully over the cake (reserve the other half), making sure to pour over the holes.
- Next, mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar and the other half of the prepared gelatin.
- Spread out red cream cheese mixture over the cake.
- Top with whipped topping and lime zest.
- Chill for 4 hours before serving.
- Serves 12-15