National Childhood Injury Prevention Week and Energizer Review + Giveaway
*Disclosure: I did receive this product to facilitate my review, these opinions are my own and were in no way influenced by another person.
Coin lithium batteries can be found around most homes in everyday items like remote controls, keyless entry devices for your car, flameless candles and children’s books with sound. If ingested, these coin-sized lithium batteries can cause serious chemical burns in as little as two hours. Yet in a survey conducted by Energizer, 62 percent of parents reported being unaware of the risk associated with coin lithium batteries.
In support of National Childhood Injury Prevention Week (September 1-7, 2013), the National Safety Council and Energizer have teamed up to share some important tips every parent should know to help prevent injuries from the ingestion of Coin Lithium batteries to help keep kids safe.
The 4 S’s of Coin Lithium Battery Safety
· Store devices that use coin lithium batteries out of reach of children
· Secure the battery compartments of devices
· Select battery packaging that meets federal guidelines for child resistance, such as Energizer’s coin lithium battery packaging
· Share this information with your friends and family
Energizer led the industry by being the first to voluntarily develop packaging for its 20 millimeter coin lithium batteries that meets the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) strict guidelines for child-resistant packaging. They also developed a national awareness campaign in partnership with Safe Kids Worldwide called The Battery Controlled, which works to alert parents and caregivers to the dangers of swallowing coin lithium batteries. Identifying ways its products can help keep families safe is part of the Energizer commitment to designing its products with people in mind and investing in programs that have a positive impact on the world. that’s positivenergy™
If it is suspected that a child has swallowed a coin lithium battery, it is important to go to the emergency department immediately. For more information on child safety and coin lithium battery safety, please visit nsc.org, www.energizer.com, TheBatteryControlled.com and www.poison.org/battery.
My thoughts? Usually I get kind of cranky with hard to open packages, EXCEPT in the case of medicines and now that I know the huge risks of children swallowing batteries, I will also never complain about hard to open battery packages.
The folks from Energizer sent me packages of their coin lithium battery packaging along with a package of a competing brands coin batteries. I was shocked at how easy it was to open the other brand’s package… literally just a simple tear, something that any determined child could do. The Energizer coin lithium battery packaging however, was quite tough to open. Both of my kids and I spent a good amount of time trying to get the Energizer coin batteries out of packaging and there was no way that they could do it, as I couldn’t even do it! We eventually ended up using scissors, which of course opened them right up, but kudos to Energizer for thinking of this important detail in their packaging!
The Giveaway: And now for the VERY best part… ONE lucky She Saved reader (US Only please and sorry) will win a gift package from Entergizer which will include: Two (2) packages of Energizer Coin Lithium batteries, One (1) Energizer LED Nightlight (winner’s choice between Sleeping Beauty or Cars), and One (1) Energizer Weatheready 2-in-1 LED Light!
… I will leave this giveaway open until Tuesday night at midnight, September 17th (mnt time) … once closed, I will select one winner who will have 48 hours to contact me to claim their prize! GOOD LUCK!!
*Disclosure: I did receive these products for review, these opinions are my own and were in no way influenced by another person.